Tips Tools And FAQ’s
Prestige Storage aims to not only provide the most convenient and safest storage facility.
Handy Storage Tips And Advice
Our years of experience in the industry coupled with the multitude of clients and diverse items we have handled, we really can provide you with the best advice out there.
- Plan your storage space. Place those items that you may need to access often in the front. Allow for walkways.
- Make up an inventory of your items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box.
- Place your storage items on 2×4 boards or on pallets to guard against dampness. Any concrete floor may become cold and damp.
- CAUTION! Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (i.e., Paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint, etc.)
- Use uniform size boxes for easy stacking. Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds. (It is best not to put too much in each box.)
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes and seal with tape.
- Stack lighter boxes on top of heavier boxes.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, kick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Larger appliances make excellent “packaging cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables having removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space. Always place a protective cover under the item on the concrete. Cushions may be wrapped in plastic and placed on top.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. They may tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Rent the smallest amount of space you need and pack the space full.
- Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
- Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Use a good quality lock on your door. (Locks can be purchased at our Storage Shop)
- To prevent bug infestation and rodents, no food or food items should be stored. (If absolutely necessary, food staples should be sealed in plastic zip locks within another plastic bag.)
- Put TV’s and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
Have a look at our helpful and easy to use Storage Calculator to establish a cost of your storage requirements. Or give us a call to speak to a friendly and knowledgeable member of the Prestige team. All enquiries and booking request will be handed swiftly and our customer and after sales service are second to none